Sunday, February 1, 2009

I Never Liked Walks Before


I´m a very Get-er-done kinda gal, so walks and socializing and the like have never really interested me...they have always seemed rather slow and pointles...until coming to San Sebastian. The difference is there´s so much to see (accordion players, Euskera graffiti, surfers, moonlit bars) and hear (languages, very old American songs no one listens to anymore, bronze church bells) and smell and taste (tapas, sangria, rum...yes rum, pintxos, locally grown produce, fish) that it is impossible to be bored at any point. Por ejemplo, last night I had a rough night, and mis compañeras accompanied me on a freezing but pleasant walk along the shore at night, where the waves were ridiculous. I almost wanted them to eat me...I did something my mom wouldn´t like (yes, I know very well she may be reading this right now)...I stood on the ledge between the bottomless pit of ocean and the street and stretched my hands out wide, letting the wind take me. It´s very releasing. A good walk.
Another good, long one today. We walked to the end of Playa de la Concha, passing many cute dogs and a few street performers. Then we walked down the surfing beach and laughed every time one of them got pounded...yeah, it´s funny watching surfers die. JK! We stopped for pintxos (once more, the American equivalent would probably be appetizers) and churros con chocolate in Parte Vieja. I basically wanted to keep walking forever...but as eternal and ready this city seems, my body is definitely less so. Eventually I had to put the Indiana Jones hat down.
Anyway, I´m looking forward to more walks, especially when I´m feeling down.
The picture is of surfers at La Zurriola. I will be out there with them some day.

1 comment:

  1. I like walks too. The first week I was here, I limped everywhere because I had to walk so much and then I didn't like it. But now, I do and sometimes I chose to not ride my bike just so I can walk.

    ReplyDelete