Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Observaciones

Some things that I have noticed lately, or that have been on my mind lately. The women here are very small. Well, the men are too, but that has no bearing on clothing sizes. I went to a huge sale at a store called Pimkie on Valentine´s Day and the racks were strewn with excellent clothes marked down to 5 € a piece. Great! If you´re physically fit or Spanish...I am neither. I am a (extra) curvaceous American who wears sizes that, it appears, Spain does not offer. So no new clothes here! Or let´s hope all this walking will help me drop a size or two...but that´s not the issue. The issue is how TINY these women are. Even walking into class, I tower. I´m five foot three. Come on, people. That´s below average. Actually, it´s a perspective I´m enjoying.
Something I´m not enjoying...the separation between Erasmus and the locals. In every class their is an unspoken line. I sit on one side with the Germans, Swedes, French...and on the other are the furrowbrowed Spaniards who may be polite but have no shame in telling us they will not work on group projects with anyone from Erasmus...I can see how they would think we would hold them down. I think I would pleasantly surprise them, however. I am learning uberfast and I´m a harder worker than most Spaniards they know. I wish this division didn´t exist...it may be up to me to randomly and awkwardly cross the line one day. And this has no reflection whatsoever on Vascos, only on Deusto students...as a whole, people here are very pleasant, though, um, strongwilled as well.
Santiago Serrats (mentioned him last post) and Deusto have a neverending list of activities for Erasmus students to try. One of them is a salsa-merengue class that meets every Thursday night and includes a free drink and free entrance to Bataplan (the club where the classes are taught) every week until May. All for 30€. That is a fantastic deal which I am considering. Problem is, I wanted to leave Thursday nights open, so that I could leave early for long weekend trips. Also this leaves less money for surfing, my number one priority.
Tonight I will go try to find a mechanic to clean the juice off my keyboard...I hope I don´t have to pay for a new one. Gnight.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you just have to look at another store? I have had a similar problem here in Sweden, only everyone here is *tall* and *skinny*. But I was able to find a store called New Yorker (apparently it's popular all over Europe according to my Erasmus friends) that has lots of cool, cheaper clothes that come in sizes that I can wear.

    I've also noticed the difference between Erasmus students and Swedes here and we don't really have a language barrier (since the Swedes speak better English than half the Erasmus kids). I personally don't have class with any Swedes but at any function or club or whatever, it's Swedes with Swedes and Erasmus with Erasmus. Plus the new Swedish kids got a much better orientation than any of the exchange kids did...

    ReplyDelete