Friday, January 30, 2009

Words Can´t Describe...But You Know I Try Anyway


The sun has been out for the last two days, erasing the misty mysterious sense that hit me when I got here, but illuminating exactly why this city is called the Playground of Europe. A cobblestone path follows the shore around two ¨mountains¨ (large hills; we´ll put it that way), a Parisian centro comercial and a stretch of museums that includes a crazy glass box theatre (kursaal...see the picture), an aquarium, and the summer residence of the Spanish royal family. People dress very impressively and I sometimes feel like a slob. It´s a little like Venice, actually...the River Urumea separates the new part of the city from the old, and it literally attacks the sides of the city when there is strong wind. Reminds me of how the cliffs of Ireland might be, but then again, everything makes me think about Ireland.
I´m not sure if I´ve mentioned pintxos. The non-Euskera name for them is tapas. It´s what everyone eats around here between 7 and 10pm...sort of a dinner pre-party. Little ham sandwiches, fish pastries, and potato pie slices are laid out lavishly on the bars, and people walk in, stuff their faces, and leave change on the bar. I am very much okay with this, because the food is delicious and the ¨service¨is quick.
Something else...blonde hair and blue eyes here are about as common as English. I´ve had two phone number requests from total strangers who ¨me gusta la pelirrojas y rubias¨(like redheads and blondes). It´s necessary to look them in the eyes and be forward...you disgust me. No, I´m not that horrid. I usually thank them and walk away or pretend my class ring is a wedding ring.
Tonight vamos a bailar. We´re beginning with an ERASMUS (European study abroad program) get together in our flat, then a bar, then (my personal favorite) Bataplan, a discoteca with all sorts of dance music. I´m happy about it because we don´t seem to be able to do this much in the States.
Certain people are in my thoughts and I want them to know I haven´t forgotten them.
In the next couple weeks I hope to upload pictures. Esperate hasta este momento. Peace be with you!

1 comment:

  1. bahahahah "you disgust me" and your class ring is a wedding ring...!! And you mentioned Ireland which keeps kicking me in the gut because I still am torn between going, but now i think i might have to...! Dance like madness a la discoteca for me, wouldjya? ;) - Anna University

    ReplyDelete