Monday, February 16, 2009

DON'T Shake it Like a Polaroid

This is going to be fast, b/c I'm on roomie Miriam's computer. Reason to be explained. I had a great Sunday for the most part...went for chocolate con churros with Katrine from Denmark, the other strawberry blonde. They were PHENOMENAL. They boil pure cacao and store it in a steel kettle, and when you ravenously ask for C con C, they pour the chocolate into a tea cup in front of you. It takes much self-control (which I don't have) to resist sticking your fingers into it immediately. Then they sprinkle a ceramic plate with huge sugar granules, then load on the thin, curly fried dough churros. We had 12 between us. And could have had more.
As soon as I got back I took out my thermometer and discovered I was running a 101F fever...oops...so I went to bed at 6:30pm. My Spanishly scheduled body was very confused when I woke up at midnight and tried to go back to sleep. WHAT...this is party time...go dancing!! But I couldn't dance, I could only tremble. I've never shaken so powerfully. I got out of bed and literally laughed aloud because my muscles were spasming (?) from the fever.
My fever was the same, so I went back to bed and slept some 14 hours. Luckily no class today (Monday). I woke up at 8am ish as Miriam was getting out of the shower. It gave me some joy to see her bustling her backpack as I loafed around in pajamas. Ah, the joy of free Mondays and Fridays. Anyway, as my body was all slept out, I decided to pour myself a huge cup of juice and watch Lord of the Rings on my laptop. I didn't realize I was still shaking really badly. So as I sat down to Isengard, a hand suddenly flew on its own and spilled the sugary substance all over my keyboard. If this has ever happen to you, especially when you're bedridden, you know the stomach-sinking feeling. Miraculously, my computer still works. But while I was chatting with Marie from Quebec on facebook, my Y key suddenly went haywire, and then a blue screen interrupted my work. Oops.
I visited two different repair shops who both told me to go somewhere else. I went searching for the third one but ended up on the opposite side of town as I should have been...not a fun realization when you've got a fever. Luckily, on my way to the second store, I met Kate from Ukraine, who cheered me up a bit. She was on the way to the store where her computer virus was getting fixed up. I told the attendant what was going on. Unfortunately he was absolutely guapo and I understood almost nothing he said...not only because my Castillian sucks, but also because I was enraptured by his facial structure and green eyes and longish hair. Did I write that publicly? Oops. Molly, if you're reading this, I may return to the store for the sole purpose of getting him to deliver your video birthday message.
Moral of the story...when you're sick, don't combine food items with computers. Not that you should do it ever. Also, kudos to me for braving sickness and language barrier to go around the city looking for computer help.
I'm still sick...lower fever than before, but someone stuck a mucus hose up my nose and filled my nasal cavity. Class will be an adventure tomorrow. But this whole experience is an adventure...I'll take the fever with the gorgeous Spaniard technicians, the spilled juice with the view of the waves I passed on my walk.

1 comment: