Sunday, May 3, 2009

Videos from Semana Santa

In hopes of pointlessly trying to capture some of the magical movement in the South of Spain, I've uploaded here my favorite videos. They are nothing compared to the real thing, but something compared to nothing, for sure. :)

I can't figure out how to change the direction of videos on my computer (help, anyone?), so for now, enjoy the insane speed of flamenco tapping sideways. This video was taken in a small, dark, one-room tavern in Malaga, Spain, called Kelipe/Kalipe Flamenco. The dancer was la jefa: the director of the tavern. She is accompanied by her husband drumming (right side of the video/outside the frame), another dancer (left side), and a drummer (you see him easily).


This is a Madonna float passing our street corner. If you can see them, take a look at the bearers' faces, which tell all. 100 to carry a float this side, 200 to carry the largest ones. I also love the sway of the gold as it lifts off from the pavement...delicate but firm.



We bought tickets to a bullfight for 60 centavos (.6 euro). It worked because I had found this view of a bull ring from the mountain in Malaga, and was whistfully watching the bull ring thinking, "wouldn't it be cool if there was a bull fight today; to be able to see this from afar." And then I realized there was a bullfight that day. So this is the view from a moorish building in Malaga, where we paid the entrance fee to see the bullfight. I explain what's going on in the video.

2 comments:

  1. There's a free software you can download, just google DVDVideoSoft Video Flip and Rotate...that's what I use and it's super easy

    ReplyDelete