Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Heather-ana Jones


Woke up the morning of April 6(Candy Mandy's--my flatmate's--birthday, I might add) feeling like someone had once more stuffed a mucus hose into my nasal cavity. Had no desire to get up. Then remembered I was to leave for Andalucia in two days, and had no choice but to get up...so much to do/think about! I am of course looking forward to two weeks in the South and weekends in Barcelona, Portugal, Paris, Madrid and Zaragoza, but right now I want to curl into a hole and hide from work.
Our web page design for Taller de Escritura Multimedia, for example, is due the day we get back from vacation. A week later I have a major report due on the interplay of demographics, territory, and the environment. Then I worry about transportation to Barcelona, Paris, ya know...then flight tickets to Beirut and then to LA when SINARC has ended. So much to do, and it doesn't feel very good to do all of it right now while I'm sick. Procrastination and I need to stop hanging out so much.
In spite of all this, I am in a place of real consolation lately. First of all, yesterday and today are my last two days of actual surf class. Yesterday, we had a regimented, somewhat feminine surf monitor named Inigo who got me closer to standing up on that darn board than I've ever been before. Nearly standing up fully was such a rush. It's like a roller coaster, only more fun, because the speed and power are natural, and flow through your body. As I fell off I screamed, but out of excitement. I can't wait to get back out there today.
Also, today I had a few minutes alone in my piso while Mandy was out celebrating to do whatever I wanted. I like being alone in a habitation every once in a while...I danced to Sing,Sing,Sing and practiced the steps of standing up on a surfboard. Suddenly my head cleared and I felt invigorated. Wow, this exercise thing can be cool! Just don't ask me to run. Or shoot baskets. Or throw American footballs.
Last night I also finalized my trip to Granada and Cordoba. Olga from Germany and I were going to meet up in Granada, and yesterday she sent me the link to buy tickets to the Alhambra, the Moorish castle known as the most beautiful building in Spain. Turns out the day I planned on going, the 16 of April, was already completely full...they only permit 8100 entries a day. So I re-booked hostels to be able to enter on Saturday the 18. I will be entering the most beautiful building in Spain at 2:30pm on Saturday the 18!
I leave tomorrow at 3pm with Johnnie from Holland and Julian from Germany to go to Madrid, where we will meet my flatmate Miriam, and then head to Malaga together. You won't hear from me until at least the 21st of April, so it's hasta luego for now. Wherever life takes you, I hope you dance!
Working on trips to New York/Ghana, grad school in London

1 comment:

  1. To the last sentence: ME TOO!!!!! Check out Kingston University...

    ReplyDelete